9 September 2010
If travelling in Europe don't forget to check the date on your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
The EHIC replaced the old E111 forms and provides entitlement to reduced cost / free emergency medical treatment whilst temporarily visiting a European Union (EU) country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.
It is available for free to most UK nationals (see website for actual details).
The EHIC does not replace the need for travel insurance as it has limitations and wouldn't cover any repatriation costs etc., but should be taken when travelling in Europe.
If you applied for the new EHIC when it first replaced the E-111 then it has been over 5 years and your EHIC will need to be renewed. Also don't forget to add any new children that have been born since.
To make renewing easier you may also want to add all your dependants on the renewal even if their card is not due to expire. We included our two year old son despite having 3 years left on his card as otherwise his would expire before ours.
To apply fill in the form from the following link and then cards are sent through the post. You should apply a few weeks before you are due to travel to make sure that it arrives in time.
Travelling in Europe
See the following European holiday reviews:
- Disneyland Paris Holiday 2009 Part 1 Travel to Paris and Hotel Santa Fe
- Disneyland Paris Holiday 2009 Part 2 Disneyland Park and Walt Disney Studios
- Disneyland Paris Holiday 2009 Part 3 Disney Village and hotel restaurant
- Tatty Teddy at Disneyland Paris Holiday diary for Euro-disney
- Taking a toddler and baby to Holland Duinrell Wassennar with Keycamp
- Holland / Netherlands through a toddler's eyes (Duinrell / Wassenaar)
- Paris, France: Travelling on holiday with a Baby (Part 1) Before the Holiday
- Paris, France: Travelling on holiday with a Baby (Part 2) Travelling by Car and the Caravan Site
- Paris, France: Travelling on holiday with a Baby (Part 3) Travelling around Paris
- Paris, France: Travelling on holiday with a Baby (Part 4) Disneyland Paris